NTAG213, NTAG215, and NTAG216 have been developed by NXP® Semiconductors as standard NFC tag ICs to be used in mass-market applications such as retail, gaming, and consumer electronics, in combination with NFC devices or NFC-compliant Proximity Coupling Devices. NTAG213, NTAG215, and NTAG216 (from now on, generally called NTAG21x) are designed to fully comply to NFC Forum Type 2 Tag and ISO/IEC14443 Type A specifications.
Target applications include Out-of-Home and print media smart advertisement, SoLoMo applications, product authentication, NFC shelf labels, and mobile companion tags.
Target use cases include Out-of-Home smart advertisement, product authentication, mobile companion tags, Bluetooth® or Wi-Fi pairing, electronic shelf labels, and business cards. NTAG21x memory can also be segmented to implement multiple applications at the same time.
The mechanical and electrical specifications of NTAG21x are tailored to meet the requirements of inlay and tag manufacturers.
- Contactless transmission of data and supply energy
- Operating frequency of 13.56 MHz
- Data transfer of 106 kbit/s
- Data integrity of 16-bit CRC, parity, bit coding, bit counting
- Operating distance up to 100 mm (depending on various parameters as, e.g., field strength and antenna geometry)
- 7-byte serial number (cascade level 2 according to ISO/IEC 14443-3)
- UID ASCII mirror for automatic serialization of NDEF messages
- Automatic NFC counter triggered at a reading command
- NFC counter ASCII mirror for automatic adding the NFC counter value to the NDEF message
- ECC-based originality signature
- Fast read command
- True anti-collision
- 50 pF input capacitance
- 180, 540 or 924 bytes organized in 45, 135 or 231 pages with 4 bytes per page
- 144, 504 or 888 bytes freely available user Read/Write area (36, 126 or 222 pages)
- 4 bytes initialized capability container with one-time programmable access bits
- Field programmable read-only locking function per page for the first 16 pages
- Field programmable read-only locking function above the first 16 pages per double page for NTAG213 or per 16 pages for NTAG215 and NTAG216
- Configurable password protection with an optional limit of unsuccessful attempts
- Anti-tearing support for capability container (CC) and lock bits
- ECC supported originality check
- Data retention time of 10 years
- Write endurance 100,000 cycles